At the school where I teach, we are on a T1 and a Win NT server. I
have had Internet access in Linux before, so I know it can be done.
However, for some reason, I can't get it going with my new 7.1
installation. The install found my NIC automatically.

Part of my problem is that I am the only Linux user on campus. Even
the head computer guy only know Windows and Netware (our office LAN,
which is another Linux horror story... but another time). So I'm not
sure just what questions I need to ask the honcho to be sure that I
get the right answers.

I'm next to positive that I have my IP correct; it's not dynamically
assigned.

The mask is set correctly, as is the default gateway. However, there
was a question for which I don't have the answer: Gateway device?  So,
during the install I left it blank. Is that my problem?

We have to DNS numbers, and I put the first one in the spot where it
was called for. I think that's OK.

But I'm not sure about my host name. I understand that it has three
elements, separated by periods, as in "a.b.c". Here's my thinking on
that:

a. Is this my username (on the school's system) or my computer's name?
b. The college's email address is "emmanuel-college.edu", so I guess
that b is "emmanuel-college" and...
c. ... is "edu".

Lane
____
Lane Lester / Madison County, Georgia USA
----