On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Lane Lester wrote:
> The mask is set correctly, as is the default gateway. However, there
> was a question for which I don't have the answer: Gateway device?  So,
> during the install I left it blank. Is that my problem?

You'll only answer that if your machine _is_ a gateway.  Don't worry about
it.

> We have to DNS numbers, and I put the first one in the spot where it
> was called for. I think that's OK.
>
> But I'm not sure about my host name. I understand that it has three
> elements, separated by periods, as in "a.b.c".

Um, not necessarily.  Your hostname is your computer's name to the
internet.  The one I'm typing on now is pollux.cis.ksu.edu.  There's
really only two components: pollux and cis.ksu.edu.  The first is the
hostname, the second is the domain name.  If your field is asking for a
fully qualified domain name, you'll use both: pollux.cis.ksu.edu.  But how
do you find out what your hostname is?  Use nslookup on your IP address.

acrux ~% nslookup 129.130.10.33
Server:  zaurak.cis.ksu.edu
Address:  129.130.10.3

Name:    pollux.cis.ksu.edu
Address:  129.130.10.33

The first two lines list the DNS server that's being contacted, the second
two are the information you requested.  Thus, this computer's IP address
is 129.130.10.33, and it's hostname is pollux.cis.ksu.edu.

Oh, yes, even Windows NT has nslookup (surprise!).  Don't try it on DOS
(a.k.a. Win95/Win98/Win98SE), though.

-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>