Hi all,

Well, in light of having to replace the hard drive in my laptop over the
weekend, I thought I would go ahead and install Mandrake 7.1 - I was
using Mandrake 7.0. One of the new features touted by Mandrake 7.1 is
USB printer support.  Sure enough, it appears that Mandrake is seeing my
USB interface, and it even notices a printer out there, and loads the
printer.o module for it.  However, no matter what I can do, printing
does not work.

I've configured my printcap to talk to /dev/usb/usblp0.  I'm connected
to an Epson Stylus Photo 750, which can run both USB and parallel.  No
matter how I configure the printcap entry, I cannot get even a page of
text to come out of the printer.  The print queue eats the print jobs,
and ACTS as if it were printing.  I.e. checking the print queue status
with lpq shows no jobs in the queue for the printer.  I've configured
Mandrake's print filter for an Epson Stylus Color 800 ESC2/P printer -
that should work, as under Windoze, I can print with a stock ESC/2P
print driver.

Does anyone have any experience getting a USB printer to work with the
stock Mandrake 7.1 2.2.15 kernel USB support?  I will probably try one
of the 2.4.0 test kernels tonight, but hesitate. After all, my
understanding is that 2.4.x changes the firewall administration from
ipchains to something else. And that's after I went through the pain of
converting from ipfwadm to ipchains just a year or two ago! Ouch...

Thanks for any advice.
 --
| Jim Morris  | Business:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] |