----- Original Message -----
From: "Sridhar G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mandrake Expert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 1:25 AM
Subject: [expert] Building a new Lm system

> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to build a new system.
> What will be the approx price to assemble a 700+ Mhz system.
> I have a choice of buying a complete system from one of the Linux harware
> guys or building my own. Which will be cheaper.
>
> If building my own can i rely on online purchase of components, will it be
> cheaper in any way.

Sridar
   Researching and knowing the parts I wanted and then using shopper.com and
pricewatch.com I was able to build what I think is a very good system for
around $900.( This does not include monitor or printer.
   The system is an Athlon 650
192MB Ram
FIC SD-11 mobo
(2) 12.5Gb IBM DeskStar hds
Standard floppy
NEC internal ZIP
Blaster 48x CD-Rom
Graphics Blaster Riva TNT (16Mb) AGP
SB Live value sound
ActionTec external modem
MS Nat Elite keyboard
Logitech MouseMan Wheel

All of the above components were purchased online.

 Both 7.0 and 7.1 recognized and set-up all my hardware,though I do have to
configure the wheel mouse.
   I think I saved several hundred $ by building myself but even if I
saved nothing I really enjoyed doing it.
   After the experience of  building My first system  I would not even
consider buying a "complete system".

   Charles