You have to do some homework.  I just got thru looking at various
sales spots, and I figure that I can put together an Athlon 800MHz
machine with an Abit KA7-100 mobo, 128 MB PC133, and 15 GB IBM
ATA-100 hd, using presently available (that I have) monitor, sound
card, video card, mouse, CDR, and KB, for about $800. Now I'm trying to
work up the courage to do it!  (I haven't looked at preassembled
systems, because they tend to bundle in more than I need. I'd rather
use my faithful IBM KB, and my trackball, most bundles include
a useless-to-Linux winmodem, and I've got a better monitor than any
bundle I've ever seen from anybody.)