kf wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Fran Parker wrote:
>
> = I was wondering if you couldn't make a copy of the etc directory in another
> = partition and copy it back or would it not be compatible after the upgrade?
>
> There's a lot of files in and under /etc.  Some would be compatible,
> others probably wouldn't, some would need to change because of the new
> install, others wouldn't.  You'd have to catalogue every file there for
> every distribution/version with its purpose and when you'd want to make it
> stay the same or not.  I'm not into a project this large.  Better to do it
> by hand on a case by case basis.
>
> =
> = You made some great points.
>
> tnx,
> kf
>
> =
> = Bambi
> =
> =
> = On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, kf wrote:
> = > I didn't get Pavan's entire post, so I might be off, but I've done one
> = > install over another many times with various distributions.  In Mandrake
> = > (for the Custom and Expert installs... I didn't ever do the first one)
> = > you will come to a screen with a small bar chart representing your boot
> = > disk and showing the current partitions.  Here you have to specify the
> = > mount points for each partition and, on the next screen, if you want to
> = > (re)format that partition.  If you don't format a partition, the data
> = > that's there will remain intact.  (That's how it's supposed to work.)
> = >
> = > *** For this reason you will want to do a "df" and copy onto paper the
> = > partition devices (/dev/hda1, ...) and their corresponding mount points
> = > (/home, /boot, etc.) and do this BEFORE you start the new install.
> = >
> = > *** If you're installing a network, also record the contents of /etc/hosts
> = > because the new install will wipe that out too.  Again, do this BEFORE you
> = > start the new install.  After you start the new install, it will be too
> = > late... obviously.
> = >
> = > *** Record the contents of /etc/passwd because that will be wiped out.  If
> = > you have one or more users on the old installation with their home
> = > directories in, say /home, and you don't format /home as part of the new
> = > installation, these home directories will remain intact.  However, with
> = > the original /etc/passwd gone, these users won't exist anymore and all the
> = > old users' files and directories will be orphaned.  It would be risky to
> = > do anything but fix this by hand.
> = >
> = > *** Save off to disk or paper important info from other configuration
> = > files such as /etc/X11/XF86Config, sendmail.cf and sendmail.cw, bashrc,
> = > etc.
> = >
> [...]
Hello All:
I am running LM 7.0 in dual boot on my laptop.  I have been using a
serial mouse up until now with no problems.  I am wanting to switch to a
ps2 mouse to free up my serial port to use with the Palm Pilot, but when
I hook up the ps2, it doesn't register on the screen (i.e., the cursor
doesn't move).  I have run mouseconfig and set it to my ps2 mouse, and I
have alternately enabled and disabled ps2 mouse in my bios to see if
this has any effect.  I know my ps2 port is working because I use a ps2
splitter and have my keyboard hooked up through it.  And yes, I have
tried the mouse without the splitter and it still doesn't work.  Any
suggestions?

--
Rob Benson
Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Service