Hi.

> > The hard drive is a Maxtor 92048D8 20 gig hard drive that runs at 7200 RPM
> > and is a plain old IDE, No ATA66.
> > I am sure that you mean out of spec. I doubt it is out of spec, this drive
> > is pretty new. It performs flawlessly in other systems. I they accepted
> > before they should not have backtracked, once you allow something to work
> > you should not shut it down. As IBM about what we had to do on the AS/400 to
> > prevent this. You are telling me that Windows can handle it and LINUX
> > can't???

Erm, you sing the praises of Windoze for backwards compatability, and
yet Micro$oft themselves are looking to do away with much of the support
for earlier (older) kit, such as non-USB keyboards/rodents, etc.  Go
figure...

> > I told you. Nobody ever asked before. It is the BIOS that handles this
> > anyhow is it not. Version 7/1 should not se anything that 7.0 did not.
> > This message is useless, it does not ell why it is refusing to accept it.

I think you will find that with Linux, the BIOS only handles the drive
until the relevant parts of the kernel have loaded.  After that, Linux
handles the job itself.

No doubt some of the Gurus on this list will correct me if I'm wrong...

Regards,

Ozz.