You could probably manually unmount and then remount as read-write by
doing something like:

        umount /dev/hdc8

        mount -t vfstype -o rw /dev/hdc8 /mnt

I don't know offhand how ReiserFS is designated in the -t parameter -
you'll have to make the appropriate substitution for "vfstype".
Similarly, you may choose some other mount point rather than "/mnt"

I am assuming that the floppy boot creates some other "/" directory.  I
am not sure if you could umount and then remount if /dev/hdc8 is the
root directory...  (though nothing would be lost by trying...)

Dan