Submitted 11-Sep-00 by Alan Blundell:
> I've never understood why the default IRQs for serial ports 3 and 4 are as
> they are, set to the same IRQ as ports 1 and 2.

In the early days of PC's serial and parallel ports were the only things
attached to your machine that the designers felt you might need more than
one of.  The parallel port was designed to be capable of being run without
an IRQ, but serial ports (an older standard) were not.  With the limit of 16
IRQ's, and several of those taken up by sytem resources (drive controllers,
clock, numeric coprocessor, etc.), it was decided that by default, on
machines that have more than two serial ports, ports 3 and 1 share IRQ 4
and 2 and 4 share IRQ 3.

The idea being that early PC designs didn't expect that you would need to
access more than two serial devices simultaneously and that you would space
them so that so as to avoid IRQ conflicts when using them.  If you have ever
run out of IRQ's trying to configure a machine, you can see why this was an
essential mechanism.

As an aside, there have been similar problems encountered with the onboard
BIOS's of varios cards.  For example, the default BIOS address of some
Promise EIDE cards (ISA) conflicts with most VGA cards.  Trying to boot
without reconfiguring the card results in a scrambled display and no disk
activity.

We have moved beyond the point that the architecture is insufficient to the
demands placed on it.  Certainly some of this is alleviated by PCI cards
capable of sharing interrupts and some newer drive controllers being able to
do the same.  Even serial boards have made tremendous advances in this
regard, but the architecture is limited by its roots.  As the ISA bus get
phased out this will become less of an issue.

--
Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..."
  -- Hunter S. Thompson