Yes,

Stefan, the question is a good one but I fear the annswer is no. The modem is
hardware, and for this hardware to work in Linux, the OS (Linux) must set it up
as a device. I do not use WINE but my understanding is that it only ports
software from one platform to another, i.e. Windows programs to Linux. Hopefully
some of you that use WINE on a regulat basis will be able to add some words of
wisdom on this issue.....

Craig