Mark Weaver wrote:

> in a word, No.
>
> Not only is Wine unstable to varying degrees, depending upon your
> particular systems' hardware and other factors involved, there are still
> quite a few memory address problems that need to be addressed. Just
> these issues alone would make this application of Wine not only
> unbearable, but very unlikely.

More significantly perhaps, Wine only supports Windows apps, not
Windows drivers or VXDs.

The only solution to the Winmodem problem is to be very careful and
buy one of the very few that has Linux support (see www.linmodems.org,
link from there to winmodem site).  Or better, buy a real modem.
Checking for DOS support for your modem is not a bad first step, if it
works with DOS it should work with Linux.