Jon wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> >
> > Damn, this is fun.
> >
> > I have tried to BUILD the src.rpms, to no avail.  I have tried to
> > install the precompiled i586 rpms, get all of them installed except
> > one.  I cannot install kdebase.  I first tried kdebase-1.94.  Then,
> > overnight, the kde rpms were upgraded to 1.99.  I downloaded all of
> > them and tried to install THEM.  They all install except for kdebase.
> >
> > Every time I try to install kdebase, I get this:
> >
> > kdebase                     ################################unpacking of
> > archive failed on file /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/users: cpio: unlink
> >

> I seen a post that said to delete the /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/users
> directory, I did because mine had nothing in it anyway and bang,
> kdebase installed just fine.

Hello,

Yeah, when I went thru the process of deleting EVERYTING having to
do with kde (qt2, qt-1.44, kde this and that), that directory was
among the casualties.  I then reinstalled all the kde-1.99 rpms and
this time kdebase installed.  Problem was, kde still wouldn't work.
NO kde-based app would start.  I get some message about libkdecore.so.3.
That file derives from kdelibs.

I then tried to compile the source for kdebase again, both via rpm
--rebuild
and, when that failed, manually with ./configure, make, make install. I
didn't get much beyond make.  Compilation dies (see one of my previous
messages).  It is toast.  I don't know if it is a kde or mandrake
based problem but it is real.  I am presently running gnome and it works
just fine.

praedor