In whi

"Joseph S. Gardner" wrote:

> Buchan Milne wrote:
>
> > No. Sorry, I didn't read ALL of the post.
> >
> > <snip>
> > btw, ide-scsi IS in the mandrake default kernels, I only use
> > ditribution-standard kernels on my home machine since I reinstall it
> > quite often to check different distros out, and since it multiboots to
> > NT and 98, I don't have enough space to keep kernel source lying around.
> > As I was saying, I have a CD-RW on this machine, and Mandrake 7.1 picks
> > it up during install and it works immediately, Redhat requires you to
> > add the line to /etc/conf.modules, and adding the drive after Mandrake
> > 7.1 installation would also require this.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Buchan
>
> The problem is/was is that this is an installation of a CD-RW into an existing system
> - I am trying not to have to reinstall 7.1  I'm sure that it (the intall) would pick
> up on the cd if it were present at the time.

I did mention above that this means you need to (using a stock mandrake
kernel):
1)Add an append="hdx=ide-scsi" where x is one of a,b,c,d to either grub
or lilo's config file
2)Add an entry in /etc/fstab for mounting the drive when reading from it

There's no need (is there any benefit, anyone ?) to have both devices as
ide-scsi.

Buchan