> > I hate to compare Linux to Windoze (in general Linux rocks, Windoze quivers)
> > but the 'add/remove programs' bit will automagically tell you if you need
> > additional stuff in order to run an application (albeit only stuff on their
> > CD) and will automagically install it for you at the same time.  The same
> > goes for the Windoze Update facility that upgrades/adds applications over
> > the Internet.  If Billy Gates can do it, I'm sure the geniuses (genii?)
> > behind the various Linux distros can do it too...

I think you're missing one very basic distinction between the Windoze
world and the Linux world (and thus the breadth of the problem of
auto-installation).

Microsoft developed a SINGLE platform to which all programs must be
written.  If they don't, they don't install and they don't
run...period.  It's pretty easy to guard the gate when it's that
narrow.  Even so, your suggestion that MS has solved the dependency
problem with their add/remove function is simply not the case and
anyone who's found themselves reinstalling the OS after removing
applications will attest to that.

Linux, on the other hand has done no such thing.  There is a kernel
and on top of that are several software platorms and software is
written for any of them.  This is what creates the problems of
dependencies in the first place.  If you want to take KDE and imbed it
in the kernel (a really lousy idea) we can eliminate all this need for
thinking when installing programs.  Otherwise, you're going to have to
worry about whether the right stuff is available to run the program
you're installing.

Cheers --- Larry