On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:04:27 -0400 (EDT), Larry Marshall said:

 >  I think you're right but it's a tough call what to include/exclude.
 The
>  silly thing is that the first things the "ignorant" ones want to do is
>  play music, games and connect to napster.  I do believe that dumping the
>  wide variety of interfaces would be a huge step forward.  A simple "KDE
>  vs Gnome/Enlightnement" option would make things much easier.

I kind of resent that Larry. <smile>

I am one of those "ignorant" ones. Or at least I was. I came from
Sinclair Basic (1981), through Commodore Basic, Microsoft/IBM Basic,
Win 3.1, OS/2 v2.1, Warp 3, Warp 4, to Linux. Computer ignorant no,
Linux ignorant, of course. But I am learning. With a lot of reading and
help from some of you on these mailing lists. For which I am greatful.
Not all of us have degrees in C++, Perl, etc. My biggest complaint is
that the DOC files are written, of course, BY programmers but that they
are written FOR programmers. I don't need to be spoon fed directions
but to have to research every other word to decipher an instruction DOC
is a task. The DOCs read like they are in foreign language.

That would help many.

I, personally, as an example, am having a problem getting diald
(Dial-on Demand) to work. To me the DOCs don't tell me much. Stuff like
if you want "something" do this, change this, etc. I am not sure what
something is or if I need it or want it. Or where "this file" or "that
file" is located. I have had help and suggestions from the lists but so
far no luck. I won't give up. I might go crazy. ;-) But I won't give
up.

This little problem would probably drive most Windows users away. They
have a "check-box" in their setup for auto dial. If they can find it.
<smile>

--

David Boles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]