Larry Marshall wrote:

> Praedor Tempus wrote:
> >
> > I have a drive/partition mapped to /mnt/DOS_hdb6, and it is vfat.
> > It's purpose is to hold games (windoze games, some of which can
> > be played with wine).
>
> > I log in as root or superuser and try to chmod portions of the
>
> chmod changes permissions for the files but these don't exist in vfat
> so you get the error.

Thank you.

I hadn't realized it was all directly associated with the filesystem -
that it was more of a "how linux handles this or that".

> In your /etc/fstab file change the relevant line to be:
>
> /dev/hdb6 /mnt/DOS_hdb6 vfat user,exec,umask=0,0,0
>
> That should solve your problem.

Reboot?  Can you not simply unmount the volume and then mount
it again?  I thought that when you remount in this way, the fstab
is read again and that would be that.

praedor