Gerald Williams wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 October 2000 06:51, you wrote:
>
> > > Thanks.  It still also resides in SOME (very few) kde mirrors.
> >
> > Here's the big question...did you actually install it and get it
> > working?
>
> I did, and it works okay
>
> > After downloading and installing, all was wrong with the world.  First,
> > installing it, even with menu-3.0.5-43mdk installed, it segfaults during
> > the rpm install on /usr/bin/upgrade-menus.  Both qt2 and kde rpms
> > segfault
> > it.  Once it IS all installed, the systqt2installerror.txtem is broken.  SOME
>things work,
> > most
> > do not.
>
> While you do need to update a few, again, a few files, it's not a major
> problem. You do NOT need the latest glibc from cooker or the latest gcc2.96
> compiler.  FUD does not help. Nuff said.

Not fud, it is a factual description of what is happening with my
system.
As for gcc, you do not NEED to have gcc but then, you will not be doing
any compiling if you don't have it.

I have a fully updated 7.1 system.  I have menu-2.1.5-43mdk installed.
That is as high as I can go without upgrading glibc to 2.1.95 (or
higher).
The problem?  OK, installing qt2, the updated one that is required for
kde 2.0 results in this:

qt2
var/tmp/rpm-tmp.59425: line 2: 14222 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) /usr/bin/update-menus
qt2-devel
var/tmp/rpm-tmp.93066: line 1: 14224 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) /usr/bin/update-menus

This problem is with menu.  If menu-2.1.5-36mdk is not ok, and
menu-2.1.5-43mdk is not ok,
and menu-2.1.5-43mdk is not ok (I have gone thru each and every one of
them
trying to fix THIS particular problem), then that leaves one more
possibility...
menu-4.0.  Menu-4.0 REQUIRES glibc-2.1.95.  Glibc-2.1.95 WILL screw up
your system UNLESS
you are already running 7.2beta or Cooker.  Neither of these is a
logical nor reasonable
system to run if you want ANY reliability.  They are betas and even
alphas for a reason.
They are NOT finished products.  They DO have problems yet to be worked
out.

I get the above errors also installing most of the kde 2.0 rpms.  The
resulting kde
setup is buggy as hell.  KDM starts up and works...sortof.  I can get to
kde and
gnome, but I cannot get to failsafe.  The kde session I get is all but
useless.
There are icons on the desktop, as per normal, harddrive/mount icons,
printer icon,
startup folder icon, home icon, trash icon, etc.  Not a one of the drive
icons
works.  Clicking on them neither mounts the drive nor opens the kfm file
browser
to see what is on the mount.  Instead, a dialog comes up asking what app
I want
to use to open it (!?).  The kmenu contains some items in it and half of
them
are non-functional INSPITE of the fact that they are installed.  The run
item in
the kmenu is totally non-functional.  Entering ANY command results in no
action
whatsoever.  The panel settings menu item does absolutely nothing.

For further evidence, there is the FACT that all but one or two sites
have
removed the rpms for kde 2.0 from them.  That is a stone-cold,
undeniable fact.
Yesterday, after the announcement of the release, the rpms were
EVERYWHERE.  Today,
they are hard to come by.  There is very likely a good reason for that.

There is nothing bizarre about my system.  It is Mandrake 7.1 with
updates brought
on via MandrakeUpdate.  There are few items built by myself WITHOUT
error and
installed without error and they work perfectly (the kernel, for
instance).

There is no FUD here, only objective description of what I see.  It
matches
what some others have indicated themselves in this mailing list.  It
also matches
well with what you can find in newsgroups.

Cooker, as of this evening (and last I checked) no longer carries
kde-2.0 rpms.
It is kde-1.99.  Mandrake 7.2beta doesn't carry them.  I do not believe
I saw 2.0
rpms in rawhide either (and it was there previously).  The 2.0 rpms are
no longer
in MOST of the kde mirror sites.  They were in all of them yesterday (I
checked
a large number of them as I tried to find a site that was available).

praedor