> The different users would look like (and the most likely percentage of
> current computer users):  *** This is my Gut feeling.****
> .5%         Guru - If the guru does not know the answer, normally, nobody
> does.
> 2%          Advanced user - Can handle all day to day issues, plan, build
> and develop systems.  Rarely needs reference material anymore.
> 5%          Intermediate user - Can handle day to day issues, plan simple
> builds, but not ready to develop systems.
> 10%         Beginning user - Can get into most "normal" applications and get
> their own work done.  Has almost no idea about how it all works.
> 83.5%       Newbie - Just installed Linux.  Has no idea what to do next.
> Clicks on things and gets lost.

I have no ideas if your numbers are correct but I will make this
comment.  The notion that you're going to hand Linux of any kind to a
true newcomer to a computer and expect that they're going to actually
install and run it is beyond reason.  The same is almost as true for
Windows.  This is what keeps Apple afloat and makes the iMac popular.
I'm not saying this to be perjorative towards Apple or you Bill but I
think it's reasonable to make distinctions between true computer users
(who can do things independently) and the vast masses who use
computers at work with tech support.

> The Guru level would basically get the option on everything, and be able to
> see all packages, whereas the Newbie would get only the most uncomplicated
> stuff (read GUI or very simple shell.)

The problem with tiered installations is that the Linux world is
dependent upon the Internet for its support and for software access.
I agree with you that lots of stuff needs to be eliminated and tied up
for newbies but the minute they download a program from freshmeat
they're in trouble with such a system.

At this point, I think the best that a company like Mandrake can hope
for is to provide products that will make gurus, gurus supporting
application users, and your intermediate categories.  My wife uses
computers every day and yet couldn't get a modem or network card
functioning if her life depended upon it even with Windows.  My dad
won't install W'95 or '98 on his system because it's "too complicated"
to learn a new desktop from his 3.1 desktop.

Linux is not designed for those people unless they have tech support.
The popularity of Windows didn't come by it expanding outward from the
home to business; it went the other way around.  People with tech
support learned enough about it (by using apps running on it) to want
it at home.  By the time it hit their desktop at home they already
knew the basics of the operating system and probably still had access
to someone who could answer questions for them.  So it will be with
Linux but we have to be patient.

Cheers --- Larry