On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 06:53:53PM +0100, bascule wrote:
> well i'm no expert but since no-one else is saying this, i would guess
> that using pm could mess up your system in that if hdb11 is your
> boot/root partition then moving it could result in it aquiring a new
> number i.e. hdb12 and as far as i know lilo uses the partition info in
> lilo.conf, maybe set up a couple of extra entries in lilo for boot
> partitions that currently don't exist? and then use one of these to boot
> linux after messing with partitions? if you have a seperate /boot
> partition but hdb11 is currently / then i'm not sure what happens, as an
> aside you already appear to have 4 primary partitions, i'm not sure pm
> will let you create another one
>
> i think cat /dev/hd? /dev/hd?? is a way of copying the raw data from one
> partition to another, so i guess that if you can create a new partition
> that will hold all the data in hdb11 then you could copy all the data
> across and then add the new partition to lilo while keeping your current
> one in case
>
> of course this is all newbie talk so i expect my fundament to be shot
> down in flames!

Actually, bascule, you reminded me that I didn't talk about lilo at all in
my comments, so thank you.

If he re-arranges his partitions, he will almost certaily have to edit
/etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo. Details on how to edit it and re-run lilo
using tomsrtbt are in my LJ article on bare metal restore.