Larry Marshall wrote:

> Partition Magic will move the data as the partition is moved.  If I
> understood what he was asking, there'd be no change in fstab.  Most likely
> /boot would still be /dev/hda5.  Maybe I didn't understand what he was
> asking.

If a Linux partition is copied, the copy will not boot.  You must
bring up another working Linux partition (maybe the source of the
partition copy) then as root:

mount the copied partition.

chroot <mount point> kedit /etc/fstab

Alter the root line to the new device.

Remove any other mention of the new root partition.

Save.

chroot <mount point> kedit /etc/lilo.conf

Change all mentions of the old root device to the new root device.

Save.

chroot <mount point> /sbin/lilo

Boot down.

Add the new boot device to your boot manager (hopefully xosl).

Boot the new Linux partition.

Yes, that's all!!

If you now want to delete the old Linux partition, remember to
replace it with a minimum-size ext2 placeholder partition so as not
to disturb the partition numbering.

--
Regards,

Ron. [AU]