> VMWare provides a virtual machine 'inside a box' that has a standard
> set of virtual hardware (video, network, etc). Even if it could find
> your existing W98 install, the chances of your install using the same
> hardware that VMWare provides virutally are very small.

<grin>...inside a box?  I can certainly understand that VMware might want
to diddle with its own copy of W'98 that's not installed in standard
fashion.  From Bill's comment it seems I've missed a chunk of
documentation.

> You need to install W98 inside VMWare. Use the configuration wizard to
> configure a VM and then boot the VM with an installation medium
> (e.g. CD) of W98 in the boot device.

This, however, is beyond my comprehension.  The only way I could stick W98
into a "boot device" is if that boot device is a CDROM.  Since VMware is
booted off the hard drive where it's installed itself and configured
itself, you have lost me.

> I know it works, because I've done it.

I'm sure it does.  This is definitely an "I'm stupid, not you" situation
:-)

Cheers --- Larry