The recommendation to use cdrecord from the command line is a very good
one to try. xcdroast made a lot of coasters for me when I started to
burn cd's in linux but when I went to cdrecord from the command line, I
got clean fast burns (10 minutes for a full cd at 8x on my plextor scsi
cdr). cdrecord has never given me a coaster.

Tom Berkley