bill wrote:

> I keep wanting to try out a new printer one of these days.
> I hear Lexmark released drivers for its Z52 ? in
> the city of Anchorage I notice a Epson 900 for 179$.
> Would either of these be likely candidates?

The driver of the Z52 is proprietary (no free/open source software) and
so it will not be on the downloadable Mandrake CDs. A free high-quality
Lexmark driver (I don't know whether for the Z51 or Z52) for GIMP-Print
is under development. The driver issued by Lexmark does not support
CUPS, so I do not recommend to buy the Z52 or any other Lexmark inkjet.

See

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=328553

Buy the Epson Stylus Color 900. It is perfectly supported up to its
highest resolution of 1440x720 dpi:

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=92192

Make sure that you DO NOT buy the 900N (ethernet model). This version
does not work.

I have an Epson Stylus Color 440 (with only 720x720 dpi) here. Already
this model prints excellent under Linux.

   Till