On Friday 01 December 2000 08:20 pm, you wrote:

> > I had a similar motherboard and hte sound worked perfectly on LM 7.1 out
of
> the box! I don't know of sound quality compared to others coz I use it
> mainly for playing CDs to my head-phones.. but ac97 did work out of the box
> on VIA chipset in LM 7.1 is the bottom line :)

I have removed my AudioPCI and enabled my ac97 builtin sound (AOpen AK72
motherboard with a via chipset for an Athlon)  I have downloaded, built, and
installed the latest alsa drivers, etc.  I have loaded the proper modules for
it - after running "modprobe snd-card-via686a" I now have these modules
loaded as well, with no error messages:

snd-pcm                29824   0  [snd-card-via686a]
snd-timer               8256   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart         2384   0  [snd-card-via686a]
snd-rawmidi             9760   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          3504   0  [snd-rawmidi]
snd-ac97-codec         24064   0  [snd-card-via686a]
snd-mixer              23536   0  [snd-ac97-codec]
snd                    36320   1  [snd-card-via686a snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer]

I have unmuted everything in the alsamixer.  Result: nothing.  No sound.  The
mic doesn't work either.  Sound system is DOA.

I have Mandrake 7.2, a FULLY modular kernel-2.2.17.  I DO get an error during
bootup related to sound:

Dec  3 06:10:47 localhost aumix: aumix:  error opening mixer

So, how do I disable aumix and get the system to accept and use alsamixer?
What does it take to get the ac97 sound system working?  Are alsa and aRts
incompatible?

Here's one for the Mandrake developers:  Why in the world is it that Mandrake
appears to be going to alsa yet sounddrake doesn't work for alsa?  You cannot
setup your soundcard using sounddrake, a Mandrake-specific config tool, if you
are using alsa, the standard base Mandrake sound system?  It only works if
you are using oss as your sound driver base.

praedor