-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of praedor
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000 10:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Alsa - and the ac97

This is the second time in some 3 years that I have gone to alsa from
oss.  Originally, on a Redhat 5.0 system, I had problems like you mention.
As I recall, what I ended up doing was adding the appropriate "amixer"
lines to my rc.local file so that all the proper/desired amixer settings
would be set at startup.

This entails a series of lines in rc.local (example):

/usr/bin/amixer set Master 60 unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set PCM 15 unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set MIC 15 unmute

etc, etc, for each pertinent amixer setting.  This is ugly, even clumsy,
but it does work.  Unless someone offers a better idea, you can try it.
I so rarely reboot my system, it is up 24/7 90+% of the time, that I
haven't done this yet...and I only just got my sound working again.
I suppose the first time I have to go thru the amixer setting sequence
again I will be adding the lines to rc.local again.

Another thing to try:  after setting everything with amixer (as root) you
could save the settings with alsactl ("alsactl store card1" for instance)
and
then change the attributes of your /etc/alsa.conf file to immutable ("chattr
+i /etc/alsa.conf").  You will not then be able to change the settings even
as root without first removing the immutable attribute.  This will make the
file untouchable during subsequent restarts (and should eliminate a need
to add lines to rc.local).

praedor

<snip>