I've been digging some more into this issue. A  new version of XFree86
(XFree86-4.0.2-1mdk) is installed, a new kernel
(kernel22-2.2.18-1mdk), a new glibc (glibc-2.2-21mdk) etc. The problem
remains :-(

All seems to be due to an IRQ assignment problem.
cat /proc/interrupts gives:
  5:     314465          XT-PIC  ESS Maestro 2, eth0
and lspci -v gives:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Banshee (rev 03)
(prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Guillemot Corporation Maxi Gamer Phoenix
        Flags: VGA palette snoop, 66Mhz, fast devsel, IRQ 5
        Memory at 40000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Memory at 42000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
        I/O ports at 1000

The following is pasted from another posting to [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

Anyone knows why is IRQ 5 chosen both for my eth0 (tulip, external
card) driver and sound (maestro, on motherboard) on my Compaq Presario
5640/5670 when other interrupts are free: 4,6,7,9,10,11?

How to steer away one of the units from IRQ 5 to avoid interrupt
sharing? In the documentation to both the tulip and maestro driver I
have not found any option to control the IRQ. What unit takes care of
allocating IRQ's if the card driver does not require one, the kernel
or the BIOS?

The BIOS for this computer has very limited number of options, and as
mentioned above the sound hardware is on the motherboard. Also only
two PCI slots are available (one with the ethernet card, the other
with a PCTV card, IRQ 3), so shuffling cards is not much an option.

(I am using the non-fb kernel)

Thanks in advance,
/Svante