Hmpf...I tried altering my various devices to match, as appropriate, the
entries you provide but it doesn't work.  All I get is an .xsession-errors
file loaded with "Syntax Error: Unknown command '/mnt/zip'".

The command that is being attempted when selecting a user-created device or
file or directory (via the desktop menu "Create New" item) is incorrect, so
it seems.

I tried deleting everything having to do with KDE in my home directory and
restarting KDE as if for the first time.  Didn't help.  I ended up having to
reproduce, at least, a working Home icon by dragging and copying the home
icon from the kpanel.  I copied the printer from root and changed the
ownership to me and it works too...it is the only entry that I haven't tried
recreating via the "Create New" menu item.

Trash still doesn't work.  I have a desktop containing lovely device icons
too, none of which function.

On Sunday 24 December 2000 07:52, you wrote:
> Praedor Tempus wrote:
> > Could someone please use an editor and view the device kdelnk in their
> > Desktop directory (preferably from KDE 2.0, 2.0.1 or 2.1) and post the
> > contents?
>
> Without a CD in the drive, I get the non-intuitive:
>     Error -KDesktop
>          Unable to enter file:/mnt/cdrom.
>     (X)  You do not have access rights to
>          this location.