Hi list,

<rant-on>
I just had an epiphany. CUPS PRINTING SUCKS!!@#Q#$%#!#@!

I liked the printer support that I had back in Mdk 7.1. It was simple, direct,
to the point, and...IT FRIGGIN WORKED WITHOUT HAVING TO SACRIFICE SMALL
BARNYARD ANIMALS TO THE GODS OF MORONITY IN ORDER TO GET IT TO WORK.

Why was something that was straightforward and NOT BROKEN changed so much that
it's now NOT A USABLE OPTION? I just don't get it! I want to be able to print
from all the applicartions that I could print from before with the same printer
that I used before and I want to do all this some time this stinkin century. I
REALLY don't think that's too much to expect.

I'm not ungrateful to those who are clearly working very hard on this Linux
distribution. You all are doing a fantastic job. But DAMNIT! when something is
working LEAVE IT ALONE, will ya?
</rant-off>

That being said I would like to express my disappointment with the printer
support in this distribution. When you can get it to work it absolutely will
not work correctly. The damn printer params are METRIC for God's sake. For
those of us that DO NOT live, breath and die by the metric system apparently
are unable to use this...this...Ah hell...I don't know what you'd call it, but
it's unusable where as before my Canon hummed right along and didn't have a
care in the world.

At this point I'm not sure whether I want to crap or go blind I'm so frustrated
and sick and tired of trying everything I've learned over the past 7 years to
convince, coax and/or otherwise plead with this OS that it's perfectly ok to
print to the printer and to do it in a LEGABLE manner.

That's the other thing that REALLY got my shorts in a knot. When it does print
the job is printed in a 5x8 square in the upper left corner of a 8.25x11 inch
peice of paper. It doesn't matter what "I", the user tells it to do it does
that and only that. And yes, I've used the Cups configure do-dad that shipped
with this fine distribution, AND every other printer configuration utility that
was supplied with the distribution and STILL it's printing in the same manner.

Things that are sent from apps such as Star Office go to the queue and then
vanish without a trace! Now THATS a cool, or should that be a cruel trick!

With all this agrivation I'm serisouly considering going back to 7.1 not matter
how good Mdk7.2 looks and feels. My god! if I can't do the whole job then what
I DO get done on this machine isn't the least bit of good to me unless I can
complete the job. AND PART OF THAT IS BEING ABLE TO GET IT TO THE PRINTER.

We're never going to take the world, nor even a decent peice of the market with
stuff like this being common place. That's just the truth of it.

Mark