Rusty Carruth wrote:

> You may want to add another partition for a test '/', for upgrading or
> trying things that you have an idea may break you badly...
>
> lets see.
>
> /boot - 20 M (way more than you'll ever need, but hey, its a tiny percentage! ;-)
> /home - 5Gig (you DON'T want to see my home dir!)
> /var  - 1G   (just a guess)
> /tmp  - 3G   (you want to have an ISO image, why not also have the original tree
>also?)
> /vmwin98 - 2G (can you REALLY install all that crud in 2G?)
> /root - 3 to 5G (yeah, you can easily make that in 1-2 gig, but why squeeze?)

I assume you mean root (ie /) here. It's normally suggested to make /
smaller (about 256 MB should be more than enough), and have a /usr
partition of the rest. Thus installing software into /usr or /opt
doesn't mean you run out of space in your /. Then you might also want to
have a /root partition (root's home) so that root can log in and fix
things (have space to work) if your /home is unavailable or full. Again
256 MB should be enough for anything.

> /root2 - 3 to 5G (your test root partition)
>
> total: up to 21Gig.
>
> Adjust the sizes up from there to fit your own preferences.  (I'd much
> rather have EXTRA space than have to move things around because I
> ran OUT! (been there, done that, real pain))

Buchan

Cellphone * Work               +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497