Before you try anything drastic, try and mount the partition manually
using the mount command:

# mount -t vfat /dev/hd?x /mnt/somewhere -o ro
vfat = filesystem_type
/dev/hd?x = device, ie /dev/hda1
/mnt/somewhere = directory (must exist) that you munt it to
-o ro = read only
as root, and then see if you can see the directory. The fact that the
partition does not end on the cylinder boundary is not indicative of any
damage to the filesystem, so think very carefully about anything you do.

If you are really lazy, run "diskdrake" as root

Buchan

mrc wrote:

> Since reinstalling Mandrake 7.1 I cannot access Win95 (hda1) although Grub has it
>listed.
>
> Fdisk tells me that hda1 has some numbers that should be other numbers. Something
>"does not end on cylinder boundary".
>
> Is there a way to repair this without reformatting the entire harddrive. (I've
>backed up my Linux stuff but would lose some Win95 stuff.)
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Michael

Cellphone * Work               +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497