can't help you but i have a similar problem,
 i have added a line to /etc/crontab to start setiathome and the command works fine
off the command line but the job never starts, all the other regular mandrake stuff
seems to happen fine though, this has only been since i reinstalled 7.2 as it worked
before

my /etc/crontab is as follows

SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
# Mandrake-Security : if you remove this comment, remove the next line too.
0 4 * * *    root    /usr/share/msec/security.sh

# this runs setiathome at low priority and with the graphics hook for xsetiathome
30 * * * *   root    /home/root/setiathome/setiathome -graphics -nice 19 > /dev/null
2> /dev/null

all but the last work but type the last in a c.l. and it runs, i can't help wondering
if some recent update for lm hasn't
had some effect, since after reinstalling i finally got mandrake update to work and
updated everything it suggested in normal mode

bascule