On Saturday 27 January 2001 00:44, you wrote:
> just notince something else about menudrake.
>
> If i run it as root from a shell, it doesn't work.
>
> If i run it from DrakeConf (as a user), and enter the root password,
> then run menudrake, it works?!?!?!
>
> Ken

Ummm yes, it edits root's menus that way.

But actually most problems for menudrake come from the user interface.  It
runs a merge-update child process and does not prevent the user from killing
it while that update is in progress.

There are two menu directories of note.  /etc/menu stores system-wide
changes, and ~/.menu stores the user's personal menus.  Menudrake should be
run from the menu to edit menus for a single user.  If a system-wide change
is desired, then

# menudrake --edit-system-menu

If the process is aborted while updating, strange results occur.  One effect
(also sometimes an effect of unsupported rpms) is to change /etc/menu to
access permission  rwx------ when it has to be rwxr--r-- for proper function
of menudrake.  This is the classic case of, "I can see the changes in
menudrake and it remembers them but my menus don't update."

So the key to using this version of menudrake is patience.  Look at the
little bannerin the bottom right--if it says "Error reading /etc/menu" You
won't get any changes to take effect until you fix /etc/menu with

chmod a+r /etc/menu

When the little banner says "updating menu configuration" LEAVE IT RUNNING
until it adds "finish".

Civileme