I will (somewhat) apologize for my previous tone and chalk it up to a set of
bad days above and beyond kcontrol problems.  From here:

On Sunday 04 February 2001 09:46, Christopher Molnar wrote:
> #1 - the unsupported are not built with cooker. I am starting to suspect
> this is the problem with a lot of the problems. They are also not built for
> cooker.

Are you saying that the packages you are producing (I am not unappreciative,
really) should be built with cooker?  Do you mean they have cooker-specific
dependencies?  If so, the ONLY problem I have seen of any real consequence is
the kcontrol problem.

> #2 - people do not follow directions. Every person who has followed the
> directions step by step, not tried to rebuild part of the systems, move
> menus, etc has not had any problems. There are also a lot of people who are
> mixing Cooker and 7.2 still, after repeated explanations.

I have not mixed Cooker with 7.2.  I install no rpms from cooker (most of
which would be impossible due to the glibc differences).  I did nothing
(absolutely nothing) with my menus.  Really.  No menudrake stuff.

You also indicated in a previous post that if we have done anything to, or
added anything to our .kde/share/applnk directory, that would be trouble.  I
did not do this.  Besides that, would not totally deleting .kde/ from one's
home directory, which means EVERYTHING within it including share/applnk/ and
any user-created additions within it, and then restarting and allowing kde to
setup one's home with the default settings/setup that it always installs upon
running kde for the first time, correct the problem?  I also did nothing to
/usr/share/applnk or anything within it.  Running kbuildsycoca made the
problem worse for me rather than correcting it.

> #3 - you say there is not any real difference between the Unsupported and
> the cooker version, actually there is. First, I do not build the
> unsupported version on Mandrake machines. I build on a personal laptop,
> wherever in the world I happen to be traveling. For example, today I am
> Berkeley, CA. This means that Mandrake does not know what is on my machine
> so they can not support the RPMs.

What linux version do you run on your laptop then, if not Mandrake?  I was
assuming it would be one of the Mandrakes.  If it isn't, then what packages
do you have installed that specifically concern building kde source?  Also,
are you creating mdk rpms de novo from tarballs or are you using src.rpms?

> Further, I have removed a LARGE number of patches and am using way more
> current CVS code for all of my RPM's than you will find in cooker. It is
> not the same SRPM that has been rebuilt. I check out changes as the build
> script runs.

OK.

> You mention attitude and tone. I am not paid to make these RPM's, I am not
> paid to consistantly fix peoples broken systems. I think you would probably
> get a little tired of 100 emails saying that I caused their systems to die
> after I have seen a lot of other people install by following the
> directions, which most people never read.

As I have mentioned.  I did none of the things that were suggested as causes
for the kcontrol problem (menudrake, changes to my applnk directory).  I also
tried the suggested fixes:  copy /usr/share/applnk to my .kde/share/applnk.
In addition, I was upgrading from kde 2.1 to 2.1, not from 2.0 to 2.1.  There
was a definite, if subtle, change in the whole thing somewhere between 0112
and 0118 that resulted in this problem.  All was well with kcontrol (there
were other problems like sigsevs, etc, in other apps which is what drove the
desire to upgrade to the next release of the 2.1 beta - because these
problems were fixed).  Beyond that, it isn't kde exactly, but I was also
hoping to find a functional version of kword, which gets built off each
subsequent change in qt2 and kde.  Alas, I have given up on kword for now and
have gone with lyx (klyx is really broken).  As nice as kword COULD be, it is
merely another version of a standard linux wordprocessor that has no
bibliography/citation capability.  Only lyx offers this ability via bibtex,
pybliographic (or sixpack).  This is neither here nor there.

I was upgrading to fix broken things in previous versions.  As everything did
become more stable, kcontrol somewhere went goofy.  I even uninstalled
everything kde and qt on my system and reinstalled the latest kde2.1 "clean"
(I was previously put off by suggestions that a total reinstall of 7.2 was in
order - NO WAY).  Someone finally suggested just a "clean" install of kde2.1
(thus I removed all kde stuff).  Nonetheless (and again following the install
order/proceedure in the README), kcontrol worked for a single session after
the initial install and then went blank again - and I had done literally
nothing.  I then got it working again after deleting .kderc, .kde/, and
everything in tmp/ and /tmp (EVERYTHING).  I restarted X and kcontrol was
working again.  Then it crapped out again.  I redid the whole deletion
proceedure again and this time, for whatever reason (and so far) it still
works.  It is not simply a matter of following instructions and all will be
fine.  I did and it wasn't.  It is right now, and this pleases me, but based
on past behavior, I half expect that the next time I bring up kcontrol, it
will be dead again.  I also am leery of running kbuildsycoca.

Again, I am grateful that you provide these builds since my system refuses to
build anything kde anymore.  I also apologize for biting the hand that feeds.
I did want to know why, really why, this problem was occuring.  I wanted to
understand what could be the source.  Unfortunately, none of the suggested
sources made much sense in light of my own situation in which I did none of
the "bad" things that were suggested as causes.

As for my system.  It is NOT a pure 7.2 system, but it has not a single
cooker package on it and not a single beta set of packages on it EXCEPT for
kde2.1.  XFree86 is the standard, stable, latest  version built from src.rpm.
The kernel is not a bizarro kernel of my own creation, it is a stable
Mandrake 2.2.17 kernel.  My glibc is the latest Mandrake-supported version
brought on my MandrakeUpdate for 7.2.  Nothing at the heart of my system is
beta or Cooker (or Rawhide for that matter).

--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.