Neal Lippman wrote:

> I DID NOT compile frame buffer support in (because none
> of the allowed drivers matched my video card) but I note that in the default
> MDK install, there are frame buffer devices in /dev so maybe I need
> that...and should just add in all the video cards and let the kernel try to
> find one that works?

Yep, you've found your problem - the line "vga=788" requires
frame-buffer support in the kernel. I expect it should work for you if
you select 'VESA VGA graphics console' under frame-buffer support when
configuring your kernel, and leave the others unselected. No ideas about
your mail problem, sorry.