----- Original Message -----
From: "Ritesh Ahya" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2001 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [expert] Postfix vs Sendmail!

> Lars thanks for your information, actually i was trying to answer someone,
> but the information you gave me was good. and it's a bit new for me.
> o.k. let me ask you something ?
> 1) Agreed, K mail works fine with stand alone, applications. is that true
?
> Do you agree, i think yes ?

Yes, Kmail functions just like MS Outlook Express - it is a POP client, and
SMTP forwarder.

> 2) Second, I want all the users on the single Linux box, to receive and
send
> mail. what can i offer them ? remember, a single Linux mandarke 7.2 box
with
> no, network. Like a family computer ? Tell me what should i do ?

I need a more info here.

If you are saying that you have a single Linux system that you use to
connect to your ISP that multiple people use and each one of them has their
own mailbox with the ISP then I would give them multiple accounts on the
system (or just have multiple account in Kmail) and have each person access
their mailbox on the ISP.

> 3)Suppose, in a office of staff 10 in 10 networked computers. and What
would
> i have to do ? or what would i use ? to configure mail server ? which is
the
> best ? send mail ? or postfix ? what will i need to do ?

First, you will need to read up on mail serving - see the linuxdoc.org
HowTo's and get some books on sendmail/postfix and linux administration
since you need to understand the basic infrastructure to have mail service
working - networking (ethernet but more so IP networking), IP routing, DNS
name resolution. That said if you want e-mail with OUT being able to send
messages across the Internet then all you have to do is give users accounts
on the Linux and configure Outlook Express/Eudora/Netscape/etc. to use that
Linux server as the SMTP and POP servers. (Both server programs should be
installed and enabled by default - I think). If you want to be able to send
and recieve mail across the Internet then I would talk to an ISP first and
see how much it would cost for them to provide your mail server instead of
you trying to maintain it yourself.