> My 2 cents worth as well. I am using cups with Mandrake 7.2/Samba 2.07. It
works
> great. I have no idea how I got it to work, it just works.

Ah, there is the problem.  Anything is great when it works.  Problem is when
it does not work and figuring out "what" you have to do to get it to work
and then forgetting what you did so you cannot do it again when you upgrade
to the next Linux version.

We are a long way from "human centric" computers:  that is computers and OSs
which serve humans instead of making humans kow tow to whatever
idiosyncrasies the OS or applications wish to impose on them.  That is a
world where the computer learns human ways of interfacing instead of forcing
humans to learn the computer's way of communicating.  Where computer systems
anticipate human needs instead of humans having to read computer systems
minds and needs.

Fortunately the rest of the world is slowly moving in the direction of such
human centered systems whereas despite its many advantages, Linux seems to
be forcing us back to the old days where the computer and OS were the master
and humans had to learn to serve it.

One should not have to have a degree in computer science to run a system
(linux or otherwise), not anymore than one has to be a mechanical engineer
to use a car, a refrigerator, a washing machine, an elevator, etc.

I should not have to boot into NT4 to print because I do not know what it is
that my (single user/standard HP III printer) Linux and cups system "wishes"
me to do so it will agree to serve me and print.  That is what I have had to
do for the last 6 months because I cannot yet get my Mandrake 7.1 and cups
to print.  I should not need to spend this much time just to get such a
basic thing to work.

Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Registered Linux user  183185