I recently added a sony atapi cd-rw drive to my 7.2/8.0 system.  I have read
the howto on this subject and as a result, recompiled my kernel to support
scsi emulation and then added 'append="hde=ide-scsi"' to my lilo.conf file
for the new kernel.

Now, I see no evidence that the CD-RW drive is being seen as "scsi" so I
still am unable to burn any CDs with it.

What have I missed?  This CD-RW drive is the second CDROM drive on my system.
I still have my original atapi cdrom, which is handled as IDE by default.

--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.