hello linux people...

I have a small question...

I am making up my firewall manually, figure I can do it easier by just
making an executable file with my ipchains rules.... rather then use a
specific firewall product...

here is what I have so far... (I am basing the rules to allow only these
ports.)

HTTPD           port 80
SMTP            port 25
POP3            port 110 (limited to internal network address's)
SSH             port 22
SSL             port 443
WEBMIN      port 10000

As you can see, I use the server only for http for pages and perl and mail,
the rest are for configuration/remote access ect..

what other ports must I open for standard server use?  I don't run DNS, have
a static dialup IP and host multiple virtual domain names in apache and
sendmail. to get around the pop3 unencrypted password issue, I have setup
sendmail to readdress all emails from specific address's to go to other
ISP's for collection,, (meaning that I don't use pop3 to collect my email
when not on the internal network.)

do I need any other ports??

Also, what rule can I use to disallow all other ports other then those I
have mentioned without doing all ports and DENY
ie is there a rule that will close all ports not listed in other rules? (as
opposed to specifically denying ports.)

Any help/suggestions would be MOST appreciated... I want to stich up my box
as much as possible.. I am paranoid :-)

Frank Hauptle
Gshop & Network Payment Solutions.