On Wednesday 28 March 2001 06:39 pm, you wrote:
> We've lost sight of one of my original points in similar discussions.
> If Mandrake is a Pentium optimized distro and NOT a P2+ optimized
> distro, then i686 RPM's HAVE NO PLACE in the distro.  Period.  They just
> shouldn't be there.  Never mind us annoyed K6-2 users.  What about the
> kid on his dad's old K5 or Pentium 166 who can't install something
> because it's i686 compiled?

Exactly my point in my earlier post..
I hate to think I have to go back to my P-II 400 in order to run certain
programs, it's much slower than my K6-2 450 (799 bogomips as compaired with
901 bogomips)..
Bogomips may not be a valid measurement of speed, but the 450 does run stuff
much faster using comparable equipment (RAM Hdd etc).
I think that if the rpm's are going to be compiled for i686, they should have
some backward compatibility factored in.

--
Ken Thompson
Electrocom Computer Services