Actually, now that I think about it, the problem may well lie with the fact
that I have font antialiasing enabled with qt-2.3.0 in KDE.  It works well
for most things but some fonts are totally screwed.

As for the DRI site...the package is NICE.  I have an ATI Radeon 32 DDR video
card that I just installed with DRI in mind.  Now that I have hardware OpenGL
3d acceleration enabled, graphics and games go VERY well.

Running the Mesa toy app "gears" from an xterm gives me an average framerate
of 880.  With nothing else running, I have seen > 1000 FPS.  Fullscreen I get
160 fps.  Before, without hardware accel, I would get around 100 fps in
default screen size and only about 23 fps fullscreen.  The games Heretic2 and
Terminus look and run great.  DRI was well worth the minor effort it took to
download and build (also had to rebuild my kernel to make it all play
together).  If you have a decent video card with 3d accel capability other
than an Nvidia, I highly recommend the DRI code.

--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.