Thinkpads have DISASTROUS problems with apm, but should otherwise  be
fine, and I never heard of pcmcia circuitry overheating in them. AFAIK, pcs
run linux cooler than windoze anyhow.  What way are you running it? If you
haven't done it, you'll need a kernel set up for the thinkpad, as there are some
thinkpad specific  kernel options. There will probably be a (tiny)fan installed,
and it could be dodgy causing general overheating, which could trigger suspend
to save the cpu.

        As a hardware guy, let me say that the main heat sensitive device is
the cpu. PCMCIA stuff uses no current worth talking of, hence no heat is
generated. Other heat sources are battery, and power supply. What should happen
is that the cpu is heat protected, and will slow down, then cut out in time to
save itself, which will mess up the interrupts on a thinkpad. If something else
is heating up big time, or showing heat sensitive behaviour, it's faulty :-{

        Try a session running from mains psu with the battery removed (It can
get hot if overcharged) and the case open; it's usually enough to remove the
keyboard. Make sure it is on a flat surface (not a bed!) and that the fan
works. See how it lasts then. If there's a metal plate covering the cpu, paint
it black. That alone may cure it! Matt Black heatsinks run cooler than any other
colour, strange as it may seem.

        Regards,

        Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

        A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Without the optimist, the pessimist wouldn't know how happy he isn't.