"Aaron J. Ginn" wrote:

> I'm not really trying to back out of the 2.4 kernel.  If I have to, I
> will simply reinstall Mandrake 8.0.  If nothing else, I'll go back to
> 7.2.  What I want to know is, is there an option to select the 2.2.19
> kernel on Mandrake 8.0, and if so, how do I go about installing it?

Manually install the 2.2.19 kernel using rpm.  You can select kernel 2.2
instead of 2.4 during the install, but 2.4 still gets installed by
default and the initrd is not there for the 2.2. kernel.  One of the
post install scripts calls /sbin/installkernel, which then calls
/usr/share/loader/make-initrd.  Since those directories do not exist in
that location during the install, an initrd image does not get made
during the install.  It will however, get made when you manually install
it after a regular bootup.  You will have to edit lilo.conf and I find
that I also have to symlink System.map-2.2.19secure-mdk to
System.map-2.2 in order for lilo not to complain (since I point
lilo.conf to the vmlinuz-2.2 symlink instead of to the
vmlinuz-2.2.19secure-mdk).

While not an official statement, if you wish to do reiser partitions
with the 2.2 kernel is the easiest way to do this is to install the
reiserfsutils rpm from the Mandrake 7.2 CD1 or download it from a
Mandrake mirror.  You will have to rpm -e the reiserfsprogs rpm since
those programs are for 2.4 only.  Reiser gets to be a bit cumbersome as
you switch between kernels 2.2 and 2.4, but .  It is unknown if this
will produce versioning conflicts at this time.  It is also suggested
that reiser partitions be mounted "notail".

I encourage discussion that debates the merits of the tails
functionality versus its longterm stability.  notail generally increases
speed at the expense of slightly more wasted disk space, but it seems
that noatime increases speed more dramatically.
--
todd at mandrakesoft dot com
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en