--- Todd Flinders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stay away from Western Digital and Maxtor.  Especially
> Maxtor (in my opinion).
--- Todd Flinders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stay away from Western Digital and Maxtor.  Especially
> Maxtor (in my opinion).

My experience differs...

I've had about 12 failed Seagate IDE & SCSI drives in the last couple of years.
They are easily the least reliable drives I've used in that time. I've used
more Maxtor drives than anything else, and had zero problems so far. Mostly NT
boxes, several Linux workstations & servers, a few Win9x (shudder) systems...

As a PC assembler I'd rate Maxtor as about the best at present, though three or
four years ago they were nearer the bottom of my list, & WD were nearer the
top.

For fast reliable IDE drives, I use Maxtor, for cheap, reliable drives, I use
Samsung.

WD, IBM, Fujitsu, Quantum, Seagate are either slower or more expensive than
Maxtor, or more expensive than Samsung. Most have had higher failure rates.

Just my 02c worth, as I prob install/sell 2-300 drives per year, I may get more
chance to evaluate various brands/models than most users :-)