I almost hate to give this answer, but ...
I have a few (simple) games for Linux, that won't play under Mandrake
8.0 w/KDE or Gnome. So as a test, I logged in under IceWM (I installed
all of window mangers), and the games run great there!

KDE & Gnome are resource hogs. I'm not going to tell anyone to jump to a
lighter weight desktop, but the games play there, when they won't under
KDE...

        Ric