> You mean the Swap usage?  Well, these are old programs which at some time

No, not the swap usage.. but the the memory usage.. It shows 126MB used..
how??? top dosn't show any process which is using a lot of memory.. the total
of top is about 15mb or so.. where does this extra memory usage come from?

I am seeing more and more of this on LM8 machines.. this was never a problem
with LM7.x

> where swapped out.  Nothing to worry about.  If you'd ever run out of
> memory (which is doubtful with 880 MB of RAM and such an astronomically
> gigantic Swap file), it would be dumped to hold more recently used
> programs/data.

I don't agree.. if the process was swapped out fine, but after it finished,
the swap should become empty again. I think tis a problem with 2.4.x
kernels.. coz I read something about it on the lists.

> BTW: Not that it's any of my business - but what on earth are 1.7gb of swap
> good for?

I have a 1.5GB system.. and swap was supposed to be double that right?
Anyway, I kept it to teh size of the RAM...

Here I have a problem too.. I cannot get LM8.0 to detect 1.5GB.. I tried
appending mem=1500M to lilo but it didnt' change a bit. (yes I ran lilo b4
rebooting!)

any help is highly appreciated.

thanks a lot
sarang

> Alexander Skwar

Sarang Lakare

Department of Computer Science    |Linux, MS-DOS and Windows ...
PhD Student                       |(also known as the Good,
SUNY Stony Brook, NY, USA         |       the Bad and the Ugly..)
http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~lsarang |http://www.linux.com
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      |mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]