So sprach Sarang Lakare am Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:06:10PM -0400:
> No, not the swap usage.. but the the memory usage.. It shows 126MB used..
> how??? top dosn't show any process which is using a lot of memory.. the total
> of top is about 15mb or so.. where does this extra memory usage come from?

Old data.  Since you have suge a huge amount of memory, stuff hardly gets
deleted.  Stuff includes things like old images, sound or what not else.

And I think that I read somewhere, that also each page of SWAP requires some
amount of RAM.   Don't know where I read it, though.

> I don't agree.. if the process was swapped out fine, but after it finished,
> the swap should become empty again. I think tis a problem with 2.4.x

Well, why should it become empty?  If there's still enough room in Swap/RAM,
what good would it be to drop the memory?  I mean, suppose you start GIMP
with a huge file.  The first time, it's gonna be slow.  Quit GIMP.  Restart
GIMP with this huge file.  It should be an awfull lot faster.   This is,
because the image and all that is still in RAM/Swap.

If the kernel would drop the memory, you would not get this speed
improvement.

> I have a 1.5GB system.. and swap was supposed to be double that right?

No.  This was in 'ancient' times.  Nowadays this is no more true.  With 1.5
GB of RAM, you're fine with 256 MB of SWAP, so that you have some prior
notice that you're system is crowded.  I mean, when you start to swap,
you'll notice that you have a problem because all your ram is full.

> Here I have a problem too.. I cannot get LM8.0 to detect 1.5GB.. I tried
> appending mem=1500M to lilo but it didnt' change a bit. (yes I ran lilo b4
> rebooting!)

Don't know for sure, but in Cooker there's a -enterprise kernel.  Only this
-enterprise kernel supports huge amounts of memory like you've got.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:       http://www.digitalprojects.com   |   http://www.iso-top.de