May not apply, but saw some problems with slow transfer rates from
3c905c cards in dell machines under redhat 6.2 at work (caused problems
with  timeouts on nis, automounts etc. - was a lot of "slot allocation"
errors in /var/log/message).  A kernel upgrade from 2.2.14 to 2.2.19
fixed the problem which I put down to a driver incompatibility.

BillK