Brandon, what you are doing is MANUALLY initiating configuration & IPX
startup, which effectively bypasses the scripts and configs which
Mandrake purposely included in 8.0.

While there is nothing wrong with this, you have to remember that you
are dealing with Newbies on the list...

(eh, by the way, none of this is news to me... I've worked with this
stuff for over 25 years... )

You can't expect them to deal with the nuances of manual configuration
and knowing things about frames, etc.

In addition Mandrake in and of itself fails to autoprobe, which I
mentioned before. This WAS originally designed to be done by Linuxconf,
but the scripts never worked properly. Now Mandrake seems to be moving
away from Linuxconf, and there remain MANY holes... This being one of
them.

You can go ahead and define the interfaces to BE autoprobed in Linuxconf
but the probe will not be initiated by anything already in the release
(except manually as you've stated) EXCEPT starting up MARS.

The beauty of Linux, is that since you DO have access to the nitty
gritty, so to speak, you can make things work, one way or another, by
beating programs into submission, as what you are suggesting.

However the initialization of the ipx like this is far too much to
expect for the first time user to do. It's far easier for them to deal
with setting up MARS using the example script and having the service
autostarted, than it is for them to find and modify the proper scripts
to fix the problem...

And a problem it is!

Though the NDS login support is (welcome) news to me...

-JMS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]