Yeah, I've done that...

Depending on whether I manually set the network number
or leave it to autoprobe, the addr field comes up with
addr:0x0a0a0000.[MacAddress] or addr:[MacAddress].

0x0a0a0000 is the correct network number for my setup,
but leaving auto_interface and auto_primary on never
gets ifconfig to show the 0x0a0a0000 network number.

I see no messages in the various system logs that would
indicate a network failure.

Yes, its a stock boxed set installation.  No OS updates
have been applied though I have downloaded a few end-user
application rpms that were built specifically for Mandrake.
The install is literally an upgrade of a Mandrake 7.2
boxed set install.
I suppose if I can dig up another disk somewhere I could
try a truly "clean" install, but that seems rather
extreme.  I'd almost rather can Novell and just go with
FreeBSD as a print server, except that the SCSI card in
the Novell box is not supported by either Linux or by
FreeBSD.  I'd have to reconfig the hardware to even be
able to make it work.  The other complication is that its
a 486DX66 with only 20MB or so of RAM.  Novell works
fine, but I don't have a good feel for what the other
OS's require.

Yes, the network is all 10Base2 (Coax).  All of the (3)
cards I have tried are not even 100MB capable, nevermind
the fact that none of the connections are UTP.
Kevin R. Bulgrien

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com