On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 05:34:26PM -0400, John J. LeMay Jr. wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to use rsh from my LM7.2 server to connect to my LM8.0f1machine and
> I'm receiving the following on the LM8.0f1 box:
>
> Aug 18 17:31:33 logan pam_rhosts_auth[4471]: allowed to root@cyclops as root
> Aug 18 17:31:33 logan in.rshd[4471]: rsh denied to root@cyclops as root:
> Permissio
> n denied.
> Aug 18 17:31:33 logan in.rshd[4471]: rsh command was 'ls'
>
> The server receives a "Permission Denied" message. The command was simply "rsh
> logan ls". I also tried "rsh -l root logan ls". However, if I just try a simple
> rlogin or "rsh logan", I can connect and run commands to my heart's content.
>
> Any ideas why I can open a session to the machine with rlogin/rsh, but I cannot
> execute a remot command with rsh?
>
> Thanks!

By default, you can't rsh to root@linuxbox. It's most secure.
But you can enable this (you should use ssh instead of rsh):

Firt, you must be able to rsh with standard user
Second, for the root case, the explanation is in /etc/pam.d/rsh:
#%PAM-1.0
# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty, "rsh" must be
# listed in /etc/securetty.

Laurent.
--
Laurent CREPET -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]